How many times have you checked your phone today? If you’re like many of the world’s smartphone owners, you probably have your phone within reach all day, every day. Smartphones and other mobile devices have become such an integral part of so many consumers’ social and professional lives, it seems obvious that brands should be making significant strides in mobile marketing. However, many brands have been slow to dive into the mobile space. If you need a little convincing, just take a look at some of the latest statistics.
- The number of people using mobile devices continues to grow rapidly:
- 4.8 billion people now own mobile phones. To put that in perspective, 4.2 billion own a toothbrush.
- There were 1.4 billion smartphones in use in 2013 — that means 1 in 7 people worldwide have been using smartphones.
- By 2016, the number of mobile devices is expected to surpass the world’s population.
- Mobile devices have become ubiquitous in our daily lives:
- The average person checks their smartphone 34 times a day.
- The average American spends almost 2 hours per day on a mobile device.
- 91% of adults have their mobile phone within arm’s reach at all times.
- 25% of smartphone owners ages 18–44 say they can’t recall the last time their smartphone wasn’t next to them, and 75% of Americans even admit to bringing their phone to the bathroom.
- There are very good reasons to integrate your social and mobile strategies:
- 2 out of 3 smartphone and tablet users access social networks from these devices.
- 189 million Facebook users are mobile-only.
- Mobile LinkedIn users are more than twice as active those who only access the site on desktop.
- Consumers are using mobile devices to search and shop:
- 4 out of 5 consumers use their smartphones for shopping.
- 53% of American consumers use their smartphones to access search engines at least once a day.
- 90% of mobile searches lead to action, and over 50% lead to purchase.
- 70% of mobile searches lead to online action within an hour.
- These consumers also demand effective mobile sites:
- 48% of mobile users who visit a site that isn’t mobile-friendly felt that the company didn’t care about their business.
- 57% of users won’t recommend companies with poor mobile sites.
- 40% of mobile consumers turn to a competitor’s site after a bad mobile experience.
- Mobile promotions can benefit your brand:
- 1 in 3 consumers would like brands to send them promotions via mobile.
- Mobile coupons get 10x the redemption rate of traditional coupons and mobile ads get 3x the clicks.
Despite these impressive statistics, only 25% of brands currently have a real mobile strategy in place, while 45% are relying solely on desktop sites to showcase their content. By 2015, mobile marketing in the U.S. is expected to generate $400 billion, so if you haven’t yet developed a mobile strategy for your brand, now is the time to begin. GO2 Advertising can partner with you to build a user-friendly mobile site and create an effective mobile marketing strategy that will reach your target audience and boost your bottom line.